Not happy with your grades?
Remember: Lecturers do not GIVE grades. Students EARN grades.
Before asking your lecturer for a higher grade, think about how the lecturer calculated your grade. Even one piece of missing work can result in a lower grade. The lecturer has a marking scheme when they mark the final exams, they are looking for certain items to be on the paper before giving marks. You don’t get lots of marks simply because you wrote a lot. Being unhappy with your grade is not a legitimate reason for asking for a grade change. Needing a higher CGPA is not a reason for badgering individual lecturers for higher grades. Just because you submitted an assignment doesn’t mean you will get full marks for it. Submitting work late can also mean a reduction in marks. Lecturers can only mark what is in front of them. They can’t give you marks just because they like you.
Assignment 2 – Types of Strategy
Set: 15 March 2017 due: 29 March 2017
Answer all the following questions:
- Identify five situations when forward integration is a particularly good strategy. Forward integration involves gaining ownership or increased control over distributors or retailers. Increasing numbers of manufacturers (suppliers) are pursuing a forward integration strategy by establishing websites to sell their products directly to consumers. Again, illustrate your answer with examples.
- What three strategies defined do you feel are most widely used by small businesses? Illustrate your answer with examples.
- List three industries where cooperation among competitors is most likely and explain why.
- Identify three joint ventures that have worked especially well in the past.
- List four important reasons why many mergers and acquisitions fail.
- Give a hypothetical example of related diversification and an example of unrelated diversification for Google.
- When would market development generally be the preferred strategy over backward or forward integration?
- In new technology, the current trend is for acquisitions rather than mergers. Give 4 examples of technology acquisitions in the past 2 years and explain why this strategy is now popular.
Create your answer as a document in a word processor. Copy and paste your text to the comments section below.
Assignment 3 – Opportunities
set: 4/10/2016 due: 13/10/2016
Strategic management hinges on managers gaining an understanding of competitors, markets, prices, suppliers, distributors, governments, creditors, shareholders, and customers worldwide.
Think about what you know about
- your own country
- North Cyprus
What do you feel are the current opportunities?
Write your answer up as a bulleted list and post to the comments section below.
Don’t forget to add your student number and name.
Here is the course outline for our course:
MAN407 Strategic Management
Strategic Management and Business Analysis
Chapter 1 of Williamson et al. (2011)