This week our class will be a bit different.
We have guest presenter who will take you through some useful concepts.
- Voice Exercises
- How to be a good listener
Please wear comfortable clothing, low heels, and be prepared to take part with some movement exercises.
NOTE: Marks awarded for participation
Read the following about how Mars will change the iconic Maltesers.
What else could be done to improve sales of Maltesers?
comments below please
Maltesers could be FLATTENED from balls into buttons https://dailym.ai/2G9LfEK via http://dailym.ai/android
Not happy with your grades?
Remember: Lecturers do not GIVE grades. Students EARN grades.
Before asking your lecturer for a higher grade, think about how the lecturer calculated your grade. Even one piece of missing work can result in a lower grade. The lecturer has a marking scheme when they mark the final exams, they are looking for certain items to be on the paper before giving marks. You don’t get lots of marks simply because you wrote a lot. Being unhappy with your grade is not a legitimate reason for asking for a grade change. Needing a higher CGPA is not a reason for badgering individual lecturers for higher grades. Just because you submitted an assignment doesn’t mean you will get full marks for it. Submitting work late can also mean a reduction in marks. Lecturers can only mark what is in front of them. They can’t give you marks just because they like you.
For those students who registered late, or for whatever reason did not sit a Mid Term Exam, please note there will be a
MAKE UP for MID TERM EXAM for MAN540 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
Wednesday 31 May 2017, at 4pm, in D123
our usual classroom
Here are some sample exam questions:
NOTE: These are not THE exam questions. Just an idea of what might come up.
After reading a case study can you answer the following questions:
- Perform a SWOT Analysis
- Discuss some of the management trade-off decisions to be made in the required strategic implementation plans for this organisation.
- Can this organisation benefit from a diverse workforce?
- What type of market segmentation would work well for this organisation?
- What critical comparisons can we make, when measuring organisational performance ?
- What type of contingency plans can this organisation have in place?
- What are the advantages of global business that this organisation should consider as part of its overall strategy?
- What would be some of the global challenges to this organisation?
- Imagine this organisation decide to market their product/service in your home country. What cultural differences do they need to be wary of?
- Give three alternative strategies that the organisation could follow?
- Are these strategies feasible?
set: 26 April 2017 due: 10 May 2017
Social Media is becoming very important for marketing executives to send our their communications. International companies such as Adidas see mass media, such as television, as irrelevant to their marketing campaigns.
So how important is social media in terms of strategic management?
Read the following articles:
S1877-6361%282013%290000011010 Social Media as a Strategic Tool: Going Beyond the Obvious
S1877-6361%282013%290000011012 Social Media in Strategic Management
- Do you agree that the social media are now at the center of all marketing and
communication activities of an organisation?
- Is it possible for a modern company to survive without using social media?
- Can social media play any part in the planning life cycle of strategic management?
Type up your answer in a word processor, and then copy/paste to the comments section below, with your name and student number.
This week’s lecture will be a special seminar by Caroline Bilborough, Director of Business Development and Alliances at IBM.
We will start at 4.30; giving you time to settle in.
Wednesday 29 March 2017
The following maybe of interest to you:
Assignment 2 – Types of Strategy
Set: 15 March 2017 due: 29 March 2017
Answer all the following questions:
- Identify five situations when forward integration is a particularly good strategy. Forward integration involves gaining ownership or increased control over distributors or retailers. Increasing numbers of manufacturers (suppliers) are pursuing a forward integration strategy by establishing websites to sell their products directly to consumers. Again, illustrate your answer with examples.
- What three strategies defined do you feel are most widely used by small businesses? Illustrate your answer with examples.
- List three industries where cooperation among competitors is most likely and explain why.
- Identify three joint ventures that have worked especially well in the past.
- List four important reasons why many mergers and acquisitions fail.
- Give a hypothetical example of related diversification and an example of unrelated diversification for Google.
- When would market development generally be the preferred strategy over backward or forward integration?
- In new technology, the current trend is for acquisitions rather than mergers. Give 4 examples of technology acquisitions in the past 2 years and explain why this strategy is now popular.
Create your answer as a document in a word processor. Copy and paste your text to the comments section below.
External Environment Analysis for Assignment 1
set: 15 February 2017 due: 8 March 2017
Extended to 15 March 2017
For this assignment, we will use Starbucks as a Case Study.
Below are some extra resources on Starbucks, and you can find your own resources.
- Change within external environments is often caused by changing government regulations or legislation. Identify some government legislation, from the international community, that might affect Starbucks, and comment on the effect it could have on this international company.
- In performing a customer analysis, can we estimate the cost of lost customer?
- One common way of increasing organisational flexibility is to diversify the product range and the number of target markets. What are the risks associated with this strategy? Have Starbucks already exhausted this strategy?
- What are the major opportunities and threats facing Starbucks?
- With further reference to Starbucks, how have they approached the buying decision process? What factors have they considered in creating a vertical chain of supply?
How to submit your assignment:
Enter your name, student number and department to the comments section below.
If you can’t see the comments section, open up the assignment in a window of its own. Scroll down past the other student’s replies.
Write up your assignment in a word processor, then copy and paste the text to the same comment below.
Your work will not appear immediately. The post needs to be approved.
Do not post your assignment more than once, be patient and wait for it to be approved.