Just a reminder that we have no class tonight. Wednesday 17 May 2017
The undergraduates have exam week, so our room will be in use for exams.
We will meet up next week for our final exam.
Here are some sample exam questions:
NOTE: These are not THE exam questions. Just an idea of what might come up.
After reading a case study can you answer the following questions:
- Perform a SWOT Analysis
- Discuss some of the management trade-off decisions to be made in the required strategic implementation plans for this organisation.
- Can this organisation benefit from a diverse workforce?
- What type of market segmentation would work well for this organisation?
- What critical comparisons can we make, when measuring organisational performance ?
- What type of contingency plans can this organisation have in place?
- What are the advantages of global business that this organisation should consider as part of its overall strategy?
- What would be some of the global challenges to this organisation?
- Imagine this organisation decide to market their product/service in your home country. What cultural differences do they need to be wary of?
- Give three alternative strategies that the organisation could follow?
- Are these strategies feasible?
set: 26 April 2017 due: 10 May 2017
Social Media is becoming very important for marketing executives to send our their communications. International companies such as Adidas see mass media, such as television, as irrelevant to their marketing campaigns.
So how important is social media in terms of strategic management?
Read the following articles:
S1877-6361%282013%290000011010 Social Media as a Strategic Tool: Going Beyond the Obvious
S1877-6361%282013%290000011012 Social Media in Strategic Management
- Do you agree that the social media are now at the center of all marketing and
communication activities of an organisation?
- Is it possible for a modern company to survive without using social media?
- Can social media play any part in the planning life cycle of strategic management?
Type up your answer in a word processor, and then copy/paste to the comments section below, with your name and student number.
The final exam is at 5pm
Wednesday 24 May 2017
The Mid Term Exam for MAN540 Strategic Management will be at
5 April 2017
in room D123
Note: there is a sample exam paper to help you study in an earlier post.
You are responsible for the material from Chapters 1 to 6 of the David & David textbook
Assignment 2 – Types of Strategy
Set: 15 March 2017 due: 29 March 2017
Answer all the following questions:
- Identify five situations when forward integration is a particularly good strategy. Forward integration involves gaining ownership or increased control over distributors or retailers. Increasing numbers of manufacturers (suppliers) are pursuing a forward integration strategy by establishing websites to sell their products directly to consumers. Again, illustrate your answer with examples.
- What three strategies defined do you feel are most widely used by small businesses? Illustrate your answer with examples.
- List three industries where cooperation among competitors is most likely and explain why.
- Identify three joint ventures that have worked especially well in the past.
- List four important reasons why many mergers and acquisitions fail.
- Give a hypothetical example of related diversification and an example of unrelated diversification for Google.
- When would market development generally be the preferred strategy over backward or forward integration?
- In new technology, the current trend is for acquisitions rather than mergers. Give 4 examples of technology acquisitions in the past 2 years and explain why this strategy is now popular.
Create your answer as a document in a word processor. Copy and paste your text to the comments section below.
wishing all my wonderful students a very Happy New Year!!!