Assignment 2 – Types of Strategy
Set: 15 March 2017 due: 29 March 2017
Answer all the following questions:
- Identify five situations when forward integration is a particularly good strategy. Forward integration involves gaining ownership or increased control over distributors or retailers. Increasing numbers of manufacturers (suppliers) are pursuing a forward integration strategy by establishing websites to sell their products directly to consumers. Again, illustrate your answer with examples.
- What three strategies defined do you feel are most widely used by small businesses? Illustrate your answer with examples.
- List three industries where cooperation among competitors is most likely and explain why.
- Identify three joint ventures that have worked especially well in the past.
- List four important reasons why many mergers and acquisitions fail.
- Give a hypothetical example of related diversification and an example of unrelated diversification for Google.
- When would market development generally be the preferred strategy over backward or forward integration?
- In new technology, the current trend is for acquisitions rather than mergers. Give 4 examples of technology acquisitions in the past 2 years and explain why this strategy is now popular.
Create your answer as a document in a word processor. Copy and paste your text to the comments section below.