This WordPress blog is the area where you can find all the information you need on your course MAN540 Strategic Management.
Over the weeks of the semester you will be able to find the course materials, the readings, the PowerPoint slides, your assignments, and special notes to get ready for the exams.
Assignment 2 – Types of Strategy
Set: 9 March 2018 due: 23 March 2018
Answer all the following questions:
- Identify 3 local companies. What strategies are they pursuing?
- Identify three acquisitions in the technology industry and explain the rationale behind these acquisitions.
- When would market development generally be the preferred strategy over backward or forward integration?
- Which strategies are the most risky? Why?
Create your answer as a document in a word processor. Copy and paste your text to the comments section below. Remember to add your name, student number and department.
Set: 2 March 2018 Due: 16 March 2018
From the Library find a recent journal article that focuses on a strategic management topic. Select your article from an academic journal, not a magazine or website. Write a short report on the article, highlighting the types of strategy used by the organisation (s) in the article.
Add your report to the comments section below. Remember to add your name, student number and department. Give the journal citation, APA Style.
I have created a Facebook group to facilitate sharing of information between us.
I have also created a group for WhatsApp
MAN540 Strategic Mgt sp18
add yourself to the group with this link:
Feel free to add me on Facebook too.
You can follow me on Twitter
and on Instagram
Welcome to MAN540 Strategic Management for Spring 2018
Follow the blog to get regular updates on course materials and assignments
Not happy with your grades?
Remember: Lecturers do not GIVE grades. Students EARN grades.
Before asking your lecturer for a higher grade, think about how the lecturer calculated your grade. Even one piece of missing work can result in a lower grade. The lecturer has a marking scheme when they mark the final exams, they are looking for certain items to be on the paper before giving marks. You don’t get lots of marks simply because you wrote a lot. Being unhappy with your grade is not a legitimate reason for asking for a grade change. Needing a higher CGPA is not a reason for badgering individual lecturers for higher grades. Just because you submitted an assignment doesn’t mean you will get full marks for it. Submitting work late can also mean a reduction in marks. Lecturers can only mark what is in front of them. They can’t give you marks just because they like you.
For those students who registered late, or for whatever reason did not sit a Mid Term Exam, please note there will be a
MAKE UP for MID TERM EXAM for MAN540 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
Wednesday 31 May 2017, at 4pm, in D123
our usual classroom
Just a reminder that we have no class tonight. Wednesday 17 May 2017
The undergraduates have exam week, so our room will be in use for exams.
We will meet up next week for our final exam.
Here are some sample exam questions:
NOTE: These are not THE exam questions. Just an idea of what might come up.
After reading a case study can you answer the following questions:
- Perform a SWOT Analysis
- Discuss some of the management trade-off decisions to be made in the required strategic implementation plans for this organisation.
- Can this organisation benefit from a diverse workforce?
- What type of market segmentation would work well for this organisation?
- What critical comparisons can we make, when measuring organisational performance ?
- What type of contingency plans can this organisation have in place?
- What are the advantages of global business that this organisation should consider as part of its overall strategy?
- What would be some of the global challenges to this organisation?
- Imagine this organisation decide to market their product/service in your home country. What cultural differences do they need to be wary of?
- Give three alternative strategies that the organisation could follow?
- Are these strategies feasible?